Saturday, 17 May 2008

Spring in Stockholm

Happy Birthday, PeiYing! (Dated 18th May 2008)

I realise I didn't blog anything much about Stockholm. Spring arrived 2 weeks before I left for Italy. Over the 2 weekends between Edinburgh and Italy, I went to the park where Kim & I ice-skated when we first arrived. The whole scene had changed drastically. No more ice skating rings, only green bushes everywhere, people sitting by the "pond" to "sun-tan" etc. The exact same scene in Hyde Park.London. There were fairs in the park every weekend. I saw two different ones, Japanese concert fair and Turkish fair... It was buzzing with people, families etc. That's what I like about Scandinavia or rather Europe. People here emphasise a lot on family-togetherness. They are willing to let go of commitments in other aspects for family. :)

At the Japanese fair, I learnt how to make some origami... Simple yet creative... At the turkish fair, I headed straight for some really nice turkish cuisine... hehe.... I saw trees with pink flowers... I see sunshine.... Everyone was cycling around town. As usual, I couldn't resist the temptation so I went to buy a bike rental card which costed me 250SEK. I'd wanted to buy a 2nd bike initially but it isn't that easy. The online website had everything listed in Swedish and communication was very much affected because some of them couldn't speak English. There were some good bargains but they live really far from the city and I wasn't willing to go all the way out to the suburb to get the bike.

Flowers.Origami.
The culture theatre bustling with people... Fountain up!
Trees with pink flowers and people sun-tanning...
Turkish Fair Photos.... Turkish Dance Performance
Turkish traditional costume
Ahem! Turkish FOOD!! Fenerbahce Football Club. I didn't know they were a Turkish team until the fair. hahaa...



Rock-climbing was on too...

After getting the bike card, my Mexican neighbour went for a biking trip! We cycled to Djurgarden, a museum area, up and down slopes..Really enjoyed the scenery around... Too bad I forgot to bring my camera out otherwise I'd have been able to show you guys the nice weather, beautiful scenery... But like what Sergio told me, it's enough to keep those images in your heart and mind.... Yeah I kinda agree... Images will never fade.... :) We are going to bike soon now that I am back! :)

Not to forget, a day out at the park with my neighbours for some soccer... The afternoon after we cooked char kway tiao in my room, my french neighbour and some other guys were going to play soccer in Djurgarden. So he asked if I wanted to go since he knew I was quite a bit of a soccer fan.. Initially I didn't want to go because I'd classes going on BUT, I couldn't resist the temptation of a day out in the park... He was too convincing.... SO I went... It was really relaxing.... hanging around with them in the park watching them play soccer blah blah... Of course not to miss out, gossips flying all over.... Trust me, girls are gossipy so do GUYS! Got to know a Friend's friend and we walked back together from Djurgarden! It took us about 30 minutes to walk back and along the way, we share a lot about traveling, life, culture, city etc. He's from Switzerland anyway... I really cannot deny Swiss guys are perhaps the most reliable lot among the Europeans. I think it's because of their culture that sets them apart. I discussed this issue on culture before, didn't I? It's always easy to enter into conversations with them, talk about life etc.. I like this kind of interaction...

When I arrive back in Stockholm on 14 May at night, the weather was really cooling once again. I thought it was because of the time. Who knows, it's like winter once again.. It's a common phenomenon. There will be 2 weeks in between Spring and Summer where the weather turns cold once again... :( BBQ might not go through given the bad weather.....

No comments: