Sunday, 25 May 2008

Rome day 3-4th May 2008

Spanish Steps under renovation works. Sad.... :(
A rather relaxing day I'd say.
Having covered most of the major attractions
We just took our own sweet time around town.
Some shopping, needed to get some food stock for our train.
We had a 1:47 a.m train at Rome Tiburtina Train Station.
The receptionist at the hostel told us that it's dangerous to be there at night
Tried to convince us to stay an additional night
But cost was a factor.
We decided to take the risk and got a taxi to the train station
It's crap.
Yeah, there are a lot of weird people, homeless, blacks hanging around the train station at night
But as long as you ignore them, avoid eye contact, don't flash any valuables
I'd say you are pretty safe. :)
I was extremely vigilant that day, observing every person around me.
There were many people waiting for trains like us too so we got on the train safe and sound.
We shared a cabin with this China guy who works for an equipment company in florence.
He was pretty nice because he guarded the cabin door for us. :)

Pictures~ Piazza Republica!
Villa Medici. It's a museum but it's very famous I supposed. You have to make reservations to get in. Of course we didn't know about it so we didn't manage to get in. :(
I so must tell you about this guy. He talked to me when I was taking photos for Yvonne. He thought I was Japanese as usual. Then when it was my turn to take photo he just stood beside me. I was like,"Whatever." After the photo, he asked me to give him 5 EUR for taking a photo with him. I looked at him in disbelief and walked away. He was just joking. But it was really funny... Yvonne thought he was my friend... hahaha...
See the Spanish steps covered by scaffolding. :(
Shopping street of Rome.. where all the high-end goods dominate the scene.
Ferrari in Italy!
On the side note, the weather in Italy was warm but dry.
It's like Singapore less the humidity.
Since we didn't have a room for the 3rd night, guess what?
I'd to make use of "connections" to borrow bathroom to shower.
There was this girl whom I'd knew the previous night.
So I borrowed her keys and her bathroom.
Everyone needs friends, be it you are home or overseas.
Treat everyone you meet with an open mind and don't be too skeptical.
You never know when you need their help.
And also, you never know when you can offer them help too.
Yvonne didn't like her initially but she needed to bathe so that's it.
Plus, I got free internet access from one of the guys.

National Monument of Victor Emanuele II.


Story behind the monument?
Victor Emanuele II is the first king of unified Italy. :)
You see two different carvings.
If I remember correctly,
One represents Labour-Occupations
The other represents peace.
I can't remember.
I tried to research on it but it's all in Italian... :(
You are not allowed to sit on the steps.
The police or security guard will come after you with his whistle! haha...
The story behind this monument...

""The monument holds the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier with an eternal flame, built under the statue of Italy after World War I following an idea of General Giulio Douhet. The body of the unknown soldier was chosen from amongst 11 unknown remains by Maria Bergamas of Gradisca D' Isonzo whose only child was killed during World War I and whose body was never recovered. The selected unknown was transferred from Aquileia, where the ceremony with Bergamas took place to Rome in late October to early November of 1921.""

Area Sacra. Temples built B.C. All bombed and destroyed during the 2 world wars...

One interesting person I met.
Thai who studied in North America.
He's 40 plus but he's super modern.
We shared a lot of sentiments and perspectives on Italy.
A country with so much history yet people are not living well at all.
Why? Corruption.
Just a simple illustration.
There were at least 20,000-30,000 at the Vatican City the morning I was there.
It costs 14 EUR per person to get in which means the government is bringing revenue of 280,000-420,000 EUR per day.
What about Colosseum, Castle Sant Angelo blah blah blah?
The tourism revenue in Italy is one of the highest.
Why isn't the country prospering?
Maybe it's KARMA?
What goes around comes around.
The Romans were so brutal back in those days.
The number of lives lost under their rule.
Their descendants will have to suffer in place?
I don't know.
What about attitude towards life?
The Mediterranean laid-back culture?
But still, I love BELLA ITALIA~~

No comments: