I thought I had a really good bargain! I paid 102,02 EUR for a 2-way full flight. That means my meals are provided on the airplane! Some people will think it's very expensive but ferries to greece costs around the same price too. Greece is just expensive!
I took a lot of amazing photos from the plane honestly.
I had always held Greece in awe. The Greek mythology that surrounds the country, the "Before Christ" history, the movie 300, the Turks, the Persians etc. The country has so much to offer! However, upon arrival, I was kind of disappointed. Athens is just Bangkok in a Caucasian fashion. The way the houses are lined up along the roads, the amount of traffic, the state the nation is in. But of course, the poverty level there is not as high as Bangkok, the transport system is much better too.
Right in front of the Parliament building. :)
I chose a hostel that is near to a quiet residential area but because I need to get to the hostel to connect to Corfu. I was choosing between Corfu and Santorini initially but I went for Corfu. First, Cheaper option. Second, Santorini is more like a honeymoon island. Third, I have some friends whom I'd met in Rome who are heading there.
The first day in Athens was a pretty relaxed one because by the time I tidied up myself, it was already 5p.m in the evening! So I went to check out the Flea market and of course some great Greek Food? Actually, greek food has a lot of influence from Turkish food because the Turks once occupied the land. It's Pita bread, falafel, kebabs.. Main course usually involve some meat patty, chicken, beef etc. True enough, there wasn't much pork on the menu honestly. But of course, greek salad beats everything else.
Greek dresses. Not the traditional greek costume though. Yet to see Toga sold on the streets.

Had a good insight of how the country is like from that 3 hours of walking... I would say Athens is pretty safe because I was walking along the streets at 9p.m by myself but no one bothered me at all. Of course as a tourist, as an Asian, and as a girl walking alone, I do attract stares from people here and there but they are all harmless. In fact, greeks are rather friendly. They helped me with directions because it was getting dark and all those greek words really took a toll on me! Not to forget, greece is very much influenced by Italy too. It's amazing that they share the same kind of door knob. I forgot to take pictures of them. In addition, their taps are cute. To get water from the tap, you don't use your hands! You use your feet! There's always a "foot-pedal" by the sink and you step on it to get water. Interesting. :)
As the city goes to sleep.. it's probably about 8 when I took this photo...
Pirated Sprite. I should go to all these countries and take photos of their pirated soft drinks to show you. It's not that nice. It's a little too bland compared to sprite but it's cheap. :) There's too much carbonated acid as well. haha..
I wonder if you can see the foot pedal connected to the sink? It's in RED! You have to enlarge the picture to see it.... :)




No comments:
Post a Comment