Thursday, 5 June 2008

Corfu (day 4 of Greece)-12th May 2008

The booze cruise was on today!
I skipped it though.
Instead, headed to Corfu Town for some sightseeing.
Had to catch the 9 a.m bus from the beach to the town.
Rushed for breakfast and boom....off I head to take the public bus..
Don't ask me why.
I travel to meet people.
Not to get drunk. :(
Plus, though I'd really like to try cliff diving
I wasn't insured.
I don't want to get involve in any accidents. *Touch Wood*

Small town-everyone is so nice and friendly.
I discovered something about Greece.
Greeks love Peach!
I saw a million peach-related products.
Even Liquor!
I am curious to buy and try it but on 2nd thoughts
I didn't. haha..
It's a 200 ml bottle for 20 EUR.

New town.
Old town. It always seems like the Old town is in a better shape than the new one. Why? Preservation works. :)
Was really surprised to see haagen Dazs in Corfu?
Peach-related products. Mostly alcohol.
Old Fortress!

By noon, I more or less finished walking around the old town and parts of the new town
So decided to rest in the park.
Sitting beside me was this English lady and we had a great chat that afternoon. :)
She's from somewhere near Birmingham and she works as a manager for the traffic accident department in the hospital.
In summary, she oversees the deployment of medical staff for traffic-related A&E.
Tough job, irregular working hours but GOOD PAY.
She's 52 this year!
Guesss what?
She flew to Singapore in January then to Australia.New Zealand and SAIL from there to the GREEK ISLANDS!!
So you can imagine how RICH she is!
I am surprised she has actually been to Singapore honestly!!
She told me she spent CNY in Singapore at Chinatown.
I told her I spent CNY in Manchester in UK.
What an irony.
Total switch of roles. haha..
We chatted for almost an hour! I didn't realise....
Until she told me it's time for her to catch the bus back to her hotel.
It was really nice meeting her.
We shared a lot about our own country, our culture, our beliefs etc.
Once again, the reason why I love traveling.
"Meeting people from all walks of life. :)"

The lady helped me took this photo. That's how we started talking. :)
Pigeons being fed.
These kids were just running all about after the pigeons. You won't be able to see anything nice. But if you scroll through it quickly on my camera, you will just see their movements. So CUTE!

The BUS TERMINAL !

After she left, I headed to the Old Fortress of Corfu Town since my bus back to Agios Georgios is at 2:30 p.m.
Nothing much since it's been deserted for ages.
But it was definitely a good day out.
At least to me, better than the BOOZE CRUISE?

By the time I was back in the Pink Palace, it was almost 4!
Once again, headed to the beach, hang around a bit, totally relaxed!
The whole idea about my greece trip is this..
It's meant to be a really RELAXING one...
Do away with the hassle of walking all the time....
Spending each and everyday in the most relaxed way possible
Just lying by the beach for the Blue skies.Clear oceans.Sand-filled beaches. :)
But of course, Agios geogios is not the nicest beach in Greece.
I heard Santorini is the best!
There's also Mykonos, Meteora, Cypetes, etc...
However, island-hopping is not that easy because the rides on the ferries are long. :(

The surroundings....


To make it even more like a resort vacation
I rented DVD in the evening before dinner.
The movie- "I am Sam."
Chris recommended me this movie years back
But I never watched it.
It seems like I never had enough time for myself back in Singapore.
Totally touched and in awe of the storyline.
I STRONGLY RECOMMEND everyone to watch it.
The movie really sets you into thinking about the many conflicts in real-life.
Just to name ONE.

When you love someone (not just boy-girl relationships, but kinship and friendship),
Should you be by his or her side to watch him or her, to company him or her through the journey of life, to build the most precious memory the 2 of you can have OR
Should you walk out of his or her life because people around you including YOURSELF feel YOU can't give him or her the best.
I don't know the answer.
It's a tough decision I know.
Watch that show.
Put yourself in the shoes of the Sam and then the judges.
What would you do?
Honestly, what's best for you?
What's best for me?
How do you measure the quality of life?
By Money? By Happiness? By amount of friends you have? By success in your career?
Everyone has a different weight.
I just want to live my life the way I want.
That's what I think IS the BEST.

Back to my room after dinner, I met this really cool room-mate of mine.
A 40-year old Canadian lady, divorced with a 15-year old Son.
Spending 2 years away from Canada is what she's doing.
Her son will be staying with his ex-husband.
Why? Because it's high time his ex-husband does his duty as a parent.
Believe me, all these stories that I am telling you guys are real.
I am not writing a script or writing a novel.
All these people are real-life characters.
She's spending 9 months in Europe before she moves to Asia then the Pacific and back home.

Me.Leigh just before Dinner.

It seems weird but I hit it off really well with her.
We talked about almost everything in our lives that evening and after dinner.
It's as though we've known each other for ages but actually we've only met that very day.
Things started to get hilarious at night when she tried to call her son on the mobile.
Her son was in class when she called.
The teacher was lecturing away and his son's classmates got really excited when she called.
They were like, "Where's Steven's Mom calling from?"
It wasn't the best demonstration as a parent.
But if I were her son, I'd feel damn cool!
She was telling me she wouldn't be surprised if her son's teacher send her an email or give her a call the very next day to demand an explanation for that. :)

I asked her,"What gave you the courage to ignore everyone else's criticisms about you leaving behind your child to travel?"
Her answer was that everyone else's criticism did not matter.
How her son and her parents felt was more important.
I agree.
In fact, her parents and son were both supportive.
Yeah, from a daughter's point of view, if any of my parents decide to do that, I'd be in full support mentally right now but financially in future when I have a job! :)
All their lives, they have been slogging for us, their children.
They are not robots. They need to rest, need time for themselves too.
So people, high time for you to do something for your parents be it mentally, physically or financially as a child. :)

After chatting for almost 2 hours after dinner, we headed to bed.

No comments: