Sunday, 7 June 2009

Trade-offs in Life..

As an economics student, I am fully aware that the fundament of all economic principles, theories, models, analysis etc arises from two concepts - scarce resources and opportunity cost.! Yet, I hate to have to apply these concepts to my own life, because that implies I will have to face a lot of decision making in life and be conscious of the trade-offs that haunt me.

Battle Round 1 - The Battle of the two A's -- America Vs Aussie
Eventually, God made the decision for me implicitly through his messenger, Chris since he decided to pull out anyway. So, I was not too bothered about it.

Battle Round 2 - Special Semester or Internship
I slightly regretted having checked my school email and chancing upon this Asian internship to either Turkey, India, China, Taiwan or the Philippines. The organisation deals with global social issues like poverty, human rights, environmental change etc and honestly, I was very fascinated and took a liking to the work that they do. Ever since I pen for MOE, I have not been building up my personal portfolio that much. First and foremost, I was unable to apply for most internships as they preferred students without a bond after graduation. Secondly, MOE organises some sort of attachment, courses, seminars etc for us almost every vacation which means that I would not be available anyway. Surprisingly, I am free this holiday thus this internship is a golden opportunity for me to erect my personal portfolio once again. Yet, things are holding me back.!

One, I am going for special semester to ensure that I successfully graduate by December this year since I failed to overload last semester. If I choose to go for internship, I might forfeit my chance of graduating this December. Two, Manchester United is coming to Asia this July! My brother and I have made a pact to go to KL to watch the match and I have already gotten the tickets! Internship = No more man utd match. As an ardent red devil fan, I hate to have to give up this opportunity to watch them play.! But truth to be spoken, this is not as big a sacrifice compared to graduation. :)

Third, my tuition assignments and students. I tutor POA at secondary school level and the bunch of students I have on hand are kids who are ill-disciplined and have extremely weak foundation in their accounting. Having tutored them for the past 3 months, I still do not find them able and capable of handling the POA exam. To translate their grades from an absent or F9 to a decent B3 is a matter of time but apparently, time is running out. They have the tendency to skip the weekly tuition that we agreed upon and this gets on my nerves at times not because I lose the income but out of my fear that they will flunk their exam. However, the student that I care most about is my cousin, Benjamin. I see and sense his determination to do well in the GCE 'O' levels and personally, I believe that he deserves to do well and pass with flying colors. No doubt his foundation is weak but with my magical hands, wisdom and knowledge coupled with his perseverance to excel and positive learning attitude, he can be transformed. Lol.! Lastly, I have another lucrative economics tuition knocking on my door and I find it hard to reject. After all, I love teaching economics and impart the language of this beautiful subject.

So how should I make the decision?

Something that touched my heart yesterday while reading....
She suddenly realised that she was praying. That silent, simple God was looking at her, apparently understanding her words and taking them seriously. For a while, she sat waiting for a response from him, but heard not a sound and saw not a sign. The answer was there before her, in that man nailed to the cross. He had played his part, and shown to the world that, if everyone played their part, no one else would have to suffer, because he had suffered for all those who had had the courage to fight for their dreams.
I would leave the interpretation of this paragraph to each's will and heart.

For me, I decipher it as follow;
He (Jesus) had played his part (of being God's messenger to Earth), and shown to the world that, if everyone (men) played their part (acknowledging God, accepting their role as God's messenger to Earth since each one of us were bestowed different Gifts and contributed to Mother Earth in different ways), no one else would have to suffer (be sent to Hell or burned to death), because he (Jesus) had suffered for all those who had had the courage to fight for their dreams.(selfish acts of us, Men)


No comments: