Sunday, 7 June 2009

Fab Federer II

Yay! Federer finally won the Roland Garros title!!

Read the full story report on the finals by clicking on me.I!

Read the full story report on the finals by clicking on me.II!

4.5 months ago, I was very bothered by the fact that he might not win another grand slam again to meet Pete Sampras's record of 14. Today, he made history by being the 6th man to win all the 4 Grand Slams and also to match up to PS. Extremely euphoric over his win now!

I came to know about this legendary figure back in my Polytechnic days when I was not still not a big fan of tennis yet. Though I was amazed by his achievements back then, I still was not into the sport myself and did not follow up with his news that often. However, on 10 June 2007, things took a turn when I happened to caught him on tv playing against Rafael Nadal. I was heartily absorbed into his fantasy world of tennis in that compact hotel room in Dalat, Vietnam during the afternoon break from all the tour and walking. Despite him eventually losing out to Nadal on that clay court, the elegance and class that Federer showed on the court was unequivocal. I agreed with what Soderling said in the closing ceremony just now, "He really give me a lesson on how to play tennis today." So did I take home a precious tennis lesson 2 years ago. I became determined to follow tennis to witness this legendary player make history some day and told myself to pick up tennis at all costs.


Roland Garros 2007
http://www.rafa-nadal.com/Images/Fotos/1/2/Roger-Federer-y-Rafael-Nadal-posaron-juntos-antes-del-comienzo-del-partido---Roland-Garros-2007-1037.jpg

After he lost...
http://files.myopera.com/ARA77/albums/273331/IMGW5AERZGQ51.jpg

When something means the world to you, you break down when you do not get your hands on it. Ironically, when you finally get to plant your kisses on it, your tears start to mimic a sky tap. Those were emotions that I picked up from Federer's face on two occasions this year, Australian Open in January and the Roland Garros just half an hour ago. Ever since he lost to Nadal in the Wimbledon in 2008, feelings of anguish and disappointment had embraced him and many critics spoke about him losing his champion aura already. Today, he has successfully made a comeback and truly deserves the title like what the other fans and players commented. The applause, cheer and adulation that he gets from fans all over the world (from Australia to France) only proves one statement - he is still the best in the world, hitherto, even though Nadal surpasses him in the rankings. Out of the last 20 Grand Slams in the past 5 years, I think he made it to the semi-finals in at least 14 of them! I truly admire him from the bottom of my heart.

"I've had a tough draw," Federer said. "Of course, it's not Nadal on the other side of the net, but I beat him a couple of weeks ago on clay [in Madrid], so I really feel like I really deserve it."


Roland Garros 2009http://test.eitb.com/multimedia/images/2009/05/28/109188/109188_federer_grande.jpg

Knowing that he has won it.!

Hence, I hope his accolades continue after he claim his first French Open. After all, he has put in so much sweat, effort, and hardwork all these years. It would have added icing to the cake if Nadal had been his opponent hours ago instead of Soderling. That would silence critics that he can beat any other guy except Nadal. Yet, do not forget, he triumphed over Nadal just weeks ago in the Madrid Open in two straight sets.! Now, after all the fanfare and history-making, I believe the pressure to lay his hands on the Wimbledon title again (preferably surmounting Nadal if possible) and write his name in tennis history once more will mount for him again.

But I have faith in him that he will live yet another magical moment in his life... We all love Federer! :))

No comments: