Thursday, 1 August 2013

31 things to say for a month - Day 6: Tennis

Day 6: One of the things I picked up as a grown-up

When I was young, people used to tell me that if I really want to learn something, I should start young because when you grow older, you somehow become "more stupid" when it comes to learning new things. About a year ago, I also read about it in National Geographic. Scientific experiment and examination of our brain suggests that as we age, there is something called a white or grey matter that forms a protective layer over our brain which prevents damage yet at the same time impede learning of new things.

Tennis is one of the few things that I have picked up as a grown-up. Come to think of it, it has been 5 years since they day I first picked up that tennis racquet and hit a ball. It is never an easy sport to learn and honestly although I am very rooted and skilled in my ground shots, I have not made much progress in other aspects of the game such as volleys, slice, and overhead serve. Two days ago, I went to look at videos a friend of mine helped record in 2009 and 2010 of my tennis training and a recreational session. It suddenly dawned upon me that it is time I take another video and see how much I have progressed over the last 3 years. The last 3 years have simply flown past me and sometimes in the middle of the night, I do wonder, have I lived my last 1000 odd days meaningfully and as though each of those days was the last?

Picking up tennis is definitely one of the best things that has happened to me in the past 5 years because it was one of the many things that I had always wanted to do and managed to do. There are still a lot of unaccomplished items on my bucket list and this post probably is a good timely reminder that it is time for me to kick my own ass and start striking those things off my bucket list.

Watch me in action:

No comments: