Saturday, 10 August 2013

31 things to say for a month - Day 15: Comfort Zone

Day 15: Something I said today that caught me by surprise


A usual tennis game and a chatting session and usually I am the one influenced by Linky but I thought the tides were turned today. 

Linky has made a whole deal of difference in my life for the last 5 years that we have known each other. A simple analogy that he always use is that "He is the hand that feeds me and I should not bite him by any means." If not for his recommendations, I would not have gotten those fat pay cheques and fulfill my dream of travelling to so many different cities, countries, continents. If it weren't for his company, I seriously doubt I would even pick up a tennis racquet needless to say play tennis decently now. If he hadn't nagged at me for being spendthrift and brainwash me into the need to plan and save for retirement, I probably will not see my bank account having any zeros at all. Lastly, if it weren't for me, I would not have found as much meaning to my job and also as much grouses about it. 

Both of us were so bent on leaving the service a year ago. However, as our time in that place which got us started as friends draws to a close, he is starting to believe that this is his comfort zone and he would probably overturn his decision to call it a day. On the other hand, my determination to explore new possibilities has never been stronger than now. I was the all enthusiastic and passionate one when it all begin but now our positions about our future were swapped, not the part about him becoming enthusiastic and passionate though. As usual, when we discussed about this today, he tried to persuade me to not make silly decisions and consider the implications and the opportunity cost that I will face. He is an intelligent guy and if he had been or were to be slightly more motivated and think less like an economist, he can achieve big things in life given his capacity. Not that I disagree with the Economist mentality but that it can only get you so far in life after all because the assumptions are unrealistic.  

So I told him that if we choose to remain where we are now and indulge in the comfort that this is providing us, we will leave our bigger dreams behind. But then again, come to think of it, we established a common ground that though we may be alike in many aspects, what we want in life is ultimately very different. His belief of happiness stems from money whereas mine stems from pure happiness that may or may not come from money, merely dreams to live the life I want. That aside, the things that I want to accomplish do require money as well but perhaps if I choose the latter over money, I will probably have less material comfort and branded goods unlike Linky. No TAG Heuer watch, car,   branded goods, jetting off to different countries at my own time own target without worrying about a penny but I guess I am not that materialistic after all. 

I have branded bags and I feel I do have enough already. If I could add one more, it would increase my utility but MU is definitely falling. I wish so badly for a car 3-4 years ago but that desire is very well contained at this point in time. I would probably want to have my own loft but I guess I can manage my expectations and tell myself that a home without the warmth of my parents and siblings - The Efficient Technician and The Superb Home Maker, The Fat Sensitive (Ass) Garbage Truck and the Joker and Family would not be enticing.

So in conclusion, no doubt Linky has been a positive influence in many ways, he has also been a reflection of what I want at a certain age and what I do not require at another stage. He used to say that I am someone that he should hang out with moderately and I guess likewise him for me. Too much of him makes me a devil (greedy and materialistic) but too little of him makes me too stupid and silly. Overall, I still love his company as a friend for he is definitely someone whom I have known in the last five years that I can truly open myself to and yes, he understands me and reads me pretty well. 

No comments: