Wednesday, 31 July 2013

31 things to say for a month - Day 5: My Cousin

Day 5: A random picture from my travel adventures

I have always been an avid fan of travelling and I have been around the world with some of my family members, relatives, friends, strangers (tours) or even by myself. Every group of people that I have travelled with brought me a different experience and it was through this travel adventures that I learnt how to accommodate others, be more tolerant, sharpen my navigation skills and also learn to appreciate life better.

This person in the picture grew up together with me and the day I landed on Mother Earth was also the day I got to know her. We have been through a lot as we grew up and we never have any qualms confiding in each other. Going to Beijing together and completing a climb through the Great Wall of China was definitely one of the biggest achievements that we have accomplished together even though we have known each other for years. I have met a lot of people who tend to compete with people that are of the same age as them or a year or two older or younger than them and who grow up together with them. After all, we live in a world whereby what matters is the relative gap, never the absolute one.

However, this is one girl whom I have grown up together with mostly in the absence of competition, just constantly seeing each other in a positive light and constantly encouraging each other. Maybe in our younger days, there might be a tinge of comparison by others but I am glad that for most part of the time that we spent together, we held on to each other with faith and in admiration of our different virtues and strengths and weaknesses. We are worlds apart when it comes to our intellect, looks, family background, character, etc. but in each other, we feel the happiness for another's accomplishment or better luck.

Yes no doubt, that trip to Beijing was the first time I missed a flight while travelling but the company that I had and us finally embarking on a travel adventure was a short yet sweet journey.

I chose this picture for this post because this person in the picture had in most part of my life brought me happy memories (not that we do not quarrel or bully each other while we were younger, maybe more like I was the one being bullied while we grew up together). This picture is perhaps the best way to depict how our lives have been, two girls embarking on a journey called life together from young as seen by the background of that long stretch of the Great Wall of China (the part of the journey we have accomplished thus far) and along this journey, come to a rest at a certain point in their lives (travelling together). After the break, they will continue this journey of life (climbing the Great Wall) but along the way, they will meet different people, pursue different dreams and move at different speeds. No one is to say who will reach the summit faster or earlier because in this journey, there is no competition, just support and encouragement.

And this very special person is my cousin whom I have always treated like a sister, in the past, present and will be in the future.

No comments: