Friday, 28 August 2009

Ethical or Not? You decide!

I am glad I am back to my reading newspapers habit. Apparently, I have been procrastinating whether to read those newspapers that have piled up like a mountain at home, not forgetting my Economist magazines! :(

Came across this interesting debate or rather diplomatic issue between UK and the US over the release of Libyan prisoner held in Scotland over the terrorist attack on a US plane sometime back in the 1980s who took away at least 100 over lives. He had been sentenced to lifetime imprisonment in Edinburgh but the imprisonment seems to have taken a toll on his health and he is claimed to have been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Left with only three months of his life, the Scottish government decided to let him return to Libya to serve out his jail term till he dies so at least he could be near to his family.

Rumours claim that this was an implicit agreement between UK and the Libyan government right from the start that the Libyans will hand him over but there was a stipulated release date on medical grounds. This is in exchange for the UK government to tap the vast source of natural gas in Libya.

Having killed hundreds of Americans from his terrorising plot, his release stirred emotions of the Americans who had lost their loved ones 2 decades ago. He was relentless when killing the Americans and having cause hundreds out there to lose their love ones, now who is he to have the right to be near to his loved ones?

I found it to be very debatable and I believe everyone who reads this would have varying opinions on a very broad spectrum. Are you a socialist through and through or do are you more of a capitalist? Do you think that we should be compassionate when dealing with such a merciless killer on social grounds or do you think that everyone should pay the price for their wrongs and let the invisible hand punish the erred?

Honestly, I couldn't come up with a conclusion myself, kinda struck in between the two extreme. I thought I especially love the last sentence on the report:
"He could probably be on the plane now back to Libya thinking of how to write a best-selling memoir."

No comments: