Happy Birthday, Da Jie!
Yet another birthday I missed in Singapore.
While you guys are partying your lives out there, my books are my only companion.
There are pros and cons with the education system here. Indeed, I only have two courses to study for but the content is equivalent to one whole semester in NUS. So it isn't that relaxed here to be honest. But since all I need is to pass, I wasn't that into the studying mood. When you have no aims, you don't work hard. haha.
I guess the partying mood is lingering with me still. I joined those guys for dinner twice last week and was totally absorbed into their partying mood because most of them had no exams. First, it was BURGERS! This American lady made burgers for us because she's leaving and this is like her last dinner in Stockholm. I have to say it was good though it was something simple. There was mashed potatoes and salad too. I ate two small bowls of mashed potatoes and a plate of salad before I gobbled down TWO burgers! It was simply fantastic. hahaha.
Then saturday there was the "America Fuck Yeah" Party for all the Americans that will be leaving because apparently their education system is different from Europe so they have to go back to the States earlier than other exchange students to complete their final term in US. My Italian neighbour cooked Pasta! It was definitely YUMMY!! It's this fusili with bacon in this deep cream-cheese sauce.
Termed INSALATA CAPRESE AND PASTASCIUTTA
Sciutta means bacon or ham while Insalata caprese means cream cheese sauce. haha.. It has 27% of fat according to the "CHEF". I ate like one BIG PLATE of that because there was too much and we couldn't really finish it.
After dinner, I decided to head back to study and they were like "No, you should come join us!" So I told them I need to study then they compromise and asked me to head for the pre-party (alcoholic drinks once again what else?!) at the common kitchen before they head out to another club. Since it was just a half-an-hour thing or so, I agreed. It was difficult for me to study anyway because I could hear the crowd from my room with the doors SHUT! haha.. So in the end, I gave in to peer pressure and drank a few drinks. My determination to study was firm enough though to not go out to club with them, however. :)
A few drinks yeah. It became coke with beer (my own drink), some weird Witches' brew of a mixture of gin, vodka, martini blah blah in cranberry. What else to top it up? 2 sips of GIN-TONIC. I used to be a fan of Gin-tonic but I stopped for the past 3-4 years after pledging loyalty to Baileys and Vodka. However, the 2 sips of gin-tonic ignite my crave for it yet again.
To sum it up, I PUT ON WEIGHT! hahaha.. With all the dinner invites, alcohol and chocolates, my diet is totally SCREWED.
After screwing up my lifestyle, I think I screwed up my exam too. haha.. To me, it's always applications that I study for during exams. No theory, no facts. But when I read the examination paper today, I was stunned. It wasn't a test of how well you grasp the course contents. It was definitely a memory of facts. Honestly, I have never been through this kind of exams after O's. As in Poly and NUS, economics exams are no memory work. It's always about understanding and applying the concepts. Plus I have never been through JC econs which apparently the feedback I got was, it's all about memorising the theories and throwing it all out during exams. So the system here is like JC standard? hahaha..
The funny thing about the exam here is that you are allowed to bring food in! Haha.. So those Swedish students had fruits like apples, chocolates, banana blah blah blah and they were chewing on it. Poor me-my stomach was grumbling seeing them with the chocolates.
It was bad. I didn't memorise much but I hope I wrote enough to manage a PASS?
No comments:
Post a Comment