Friday, 17 April 2009

Bidding Goodbye....

Well, today is the official last day of school in NUS for the semester. It just suddenly dawned on me that I will not be seeing my friends for a long long time. Friends whom I hang out with week in week out in NUS, laughters, complaints, whines, jokes, lunch buddies etc. They will all be leaving and here I am, left alone in this familiar yet alien environment without the people that I am so used to seeing. Unlike in Europe, we didn't bid each other our goodbyes with a hug or even a word of encouragement. We were just so silent and chatted about the past, doing the last bit of reminiscence and catching up. Yes, we will still be back for the examinations but it will be a completely different feeling. During the 3 years in NUS, I have met people who walked in and out of my life, swift like lightning and also people whom I have built up lasting friendships with. I realise that we have a latent filter inside our minds and heart in that we segregate people into groups and we share different things or feelings and opinions with them. There are those whom you want to appear smart and elegant in front of them, some who are merely hi-bye friends and of course others whom you reveal your true self to. Regardless of the category, it must have been that latent filter in you that make you decide to carry yourself the way you are in front of them. :)

This semester is probably the toughest and trying one for me, not only having to cope with a total different level of workload but also having problems with bidding and spending a lot of time in school, having a 5-day week in theory but 4-day one in practice. :) LOl.. Breaks were long but I had lots of surprises this semester. Just like what my lecturer said, whenever you turn a corner, you will know what anticipates or awaits you at that blind spot. I had to cope with doing projects with people whom I completely not know and honestly, it was something which I would use the phrase "short and sweet" on. We need not have to meet often to discuss or pressurize each other on moving and getting things done. Everything fell in place when it needed to and it was lovely!

Not to forget, soccer really bridges gap between people. Like Seng and I always have lots to talk about outside the fact that we are both Econs major, that is Soccer. Being rivals in the league, we showed gracism and patience towards each other in class and in our post-match comments always.

Then it went on to Ben. It seems like both of us were just so shy in front of each other which apparently I have no clue as to why though we are both enthusiasts and frequent participants of social networking. When the two of us first met, we tried so hard to sound and behave politically and socially appropriate towards each other. Yet, deep in our hearts, we knew that we could simply behave like friends who had already known each other for ages and talk about anything under the sun. As the semester progressed, contact minimized and when the time for it arose, things suddenly took a different turn. Perhaps it was because of the addition of another member to our clique that changed the whole setting. Our chat was always so casual and filled with laughter, no longer those that you had to be smart or elegant or appropriate. Just when we were about to bid farewell, we realise we are both die-hard fans of the all-time famous sport-soccer! It's a pity that we love a different football club but it felt so great to finally break-down the front that we were both putting up for the whole semester. Isn't friendship in such a way beautiful and lovely?!

I struggled, I attempted, I fell, I stood up and now I will be entering the mugging phase of my school term. But no denials, this is the best semester I have ever had in my entire NUS life, hitherto. Perhaps bitter-sweet memories are the most lasting and make people crave for more. Remember the government's latest campaign --> Beautifully Imperfect.! Thanks to all those who had made the mark and hopefully, the exchanges never end.... :)

No comments: