Friday, 14 December 2012

Love

Why this title suddenly? Recently, there are too many incidents that made me learnt the importance of counting my blessings. 

Story #1: Why bad things happen to good people? 
6 months ago, my buddies and I embarked on a road trip to US and it was indeed a splendid adventure that made us linger for more upon returning. 5 months later, some of my friends did the same and went to NZ. The most unfortunate thing that one can think of easily was that they got into a car accident and the consequences were unthinkable. It was a fatal car crash that led to 1 death and 4 injuries, 1 major and 3 minor. One of my friends who happened to be the car driver is now stuck in NZ. 

By the time I got to know about the news, I was very shaken and at the same time upset over why we weren't informed earlier. It is not as if we could have done anything much to help but having an extra brain definitely helps. When it happened, I started to question myself and the common question of the existence of God. Both of my friends are extremely kind-hearted souls who harbour no ill thoughts all their lives. All they ask for is an ordinary life - fulfill their academic pursuits, find a decent paying job, get into a normal relationship, get married and raise a family. So what have they done to deserve such a traumatic experience that will scar their lives forever? Besides, they actively volunteer at the home for physically challenged. Haven't they accumulated what we always coin as "good karma?" Why did such an accident happen to them and where was the Great HE when all these happen?

I know that eventually all of these will pass and we will return to our usual lifestyle - work, idle, travel, gather, etc. God may not have blessed them for the trip but I am sure he will bless them to start afresh. The accident made me realise how much I LOVE these friends of mine and how much i wish and pray for their safety and happiness always. :) 

This saga was reported in the news and online as well and the comments by some of the netizens stirred up a lot of emotions. Comments include those like "young punk, rich and reckless - now you caused the death of someone, stupid Singaporeans who blame others for causing the death of their citizens, now you caused the demise of others, etc." It then made me realise how much we enjoy being judges, passing remarks and sentences on people whom we don't know etc. Truth to be told, if I were to just read the report without knowledge of who the driver was, I would also jump to the conclusion that it must be a young, rich and reckless driver. However, having known the identity and character of the involved driver, I was very perturbed by the comments simply because I know he does not have any of the attributes raised by the netizens. 

So the incident reinforced what my job has taught me - Do not be too quick to pass judgements on others, especially under circumstances of imperfect knowledge. 

Story #2: Love makes or breaks 
Male lead: Smart, suave, pretty good-looking, bright future 
Female lead: all of the above

To everyone else, they were the perfect match. 5 years ago, the male lead broke up with his girlfriend who had been with him for 7 years because he was too in love with the female lead. 4 years later, the female lead broke up with him to be with someone else. I saw for myself how the male lead's confidence level fell to rock bottom, lost all smiles, and felt like the world had abandoned him.

Love is a very complicated affair. It brings bittersweet memories that makes people linger for more, just like drugs. It brings joy and lessens unhappiness because you've someone to share the ups and downs, whims and fancies of life and you no longer feel lonely. Nevertheless, you will have your fair share of arguments along the way and not everyone meets the perfect someone at the very first attempt. No pain, no gain.

TBC....

No comments: