Tuesday, 20 December 2011

Singapore VS Poland

I arrived in Krakow late on Sunday night and was expecting a ghost town. But to my biggest surprise, the town was the exact opposite of what I had imagined it to be! There was an ice-skating ring just at the doorstep of the railway station. That really reminded me of the time when I was in Stockholm and Kim and I went ice skating in winter. It was the first time I had my feet on the ice skating ring and having snow hitting my face as I skate was simply awesome! :)

I had to collect my rail tickets at the post office which was opened 24 hours and trust me, the queue is lonnnggg! Perhaps we Singaporeans take things for granted. Singapore is truly an efficient city, from the airport to the city centre, with the exception of our transport system I guess! :) I have never seen any unusual long queues at the immigration checkpoint in Changi Airport, instead I see numerous spacious toilets placed at strategic locations in the terminals and multiple water points and Internet access points. Recently, I even see the OSIM massage chair at T3! :) our malls are open for long hours and we always get have clear directions or signage for tourists who attract our various places of interest. But I can't say so for other countries. It is when I leave Singapore that I start to appreciate all these little things in our everyday life! But there are pros and cons. No doubt we as citizens are proud of our nation and this makes our standard of living better - quality lifestyle, however we lack patience and tolerance (some not all) become over reliant on our government to make things right. We blame our government for the Orchard Road floods and make a joke out of it (if you watched the hitler one). C'mon people, the extent of that flood was not even 1% of the recent one that hit Bangkok and Cambodia. The SMRT train relays were seen as a life and death issue to some but compared to UK or Europe, such delays are common.!

I guess enough of my rants and praises after my first experience with Poland!

No comments: