"attire checked", "attendance checked", "lecture notes checked", "tutorials checked", "markers checked", blah blah.. Endless checks to be done every single passing day....
Pulling myself out of bed in every reluctant manner possible every morning, conducting the checks which I as a student failed to live up to expectations with, I honestly question, why did I sign up for this?
I flipped anxiously over pages of my primary and secondary memories searching for that one special person who steered me in this direction only to my disappointment to see none.
From another perspective, 5 years ago this one person unleashed my potential and inspired me to complete whateve he has left undone, though I'm not sure if I'll be as outstanding as he did.
Over the course of the last 5 years, another 3 popped up and helped complete me as a person.
And the true reasons behind me embarking on this mission is my desire to continue with what that was set out to be done and entrusted to me. The mission is to complete the puzzle of the countless others that I'll be encountering, to be there to provide guidance when they are in a deadlock, to be there to encourage and motivate when they are about to uphoist the white flag. However, it's not in my capacity to blindly lead the way. Only effort can generate rewards and all results are fed by the amalgamation of a positive attitude in learning, desire to excel and be empowered by knowledge.
Right from day one, I told myself that I will never compromise my students' learning over anything nor short change on the knowledge that they are entitled to. Thus, even though a handful are difficult to discipline, a few prefers to live in isolation, the general population that is bubbly and engaging motivates me.
Through my job, I uncover the values that are deep rooted in me. A 50-mark grade is not a pass, A C is. A's are norms whereas C's anomalies. When I teach, I hold the same kind of expectations for my students. I do not think that achieving a C or a pass is good enough which explains why I am always so disappointed with my students' results ever since those times when I was giving tuition. I am not dissatisfied with them because I do know a handful had really put in their utmost best. In fact, I question my own ability to teach them well. Over the years, I did learn to align my expectations because not everyone is capable of the A like what Linky always tell me. He highlighted the top most important attribute as an educator that is, to be able to detach yourself from the learning outcomes of your students. Some people are exam-smart, others work doubly hard, whereas a handful are simply intelligent. You need to have certain attributes to begin with before you can be transformed from a C-grader to an A-grader.
It will definitely be encouraging if Linky and I were posted to the same school in future. I guess at least we can constantly motivate each other and we complement each other. Nonetheless, judging from the current circumstances, the probability is HIGHLY UNLIKELY. Well, let fate decide. :))
No comments:
Post a Comment