Thursday, 4 February 2010

If I could relive my life again.....

The J1 Orientation and Touch Rugby training today left me scrambling for memories, Memories that should have been precious, vivid, and countless yet I felt empty after the whole event.

First let's talk about touch. I wonder if I ever mentioned this in my blog but anyway, no harm reiterating the point again. (Being a teacher really makes one naggy.) I have always wanted to be part of a competitive sports team. It need not be Netball, instead it could be anything else like Badminton, Tennis, Volleyball, etc. I never fulfilled that dream of mine. Back in Secondary school, I was invited to join the newly set-up Badminton team but all it took was one statement from the coach to deter me from being a member - performing 100 push-ups during every training session.

Then when I finally went to the Polytechnic and had plentiful of chances to compete in a sports, I quit when I couldn't get into IVP Netball team on my first attempt. However, that definitely was not the main reason why I left. Rather, it was the lack of companionship that saw me drifting away from training blah blah blah.

So when I saw the girls training today, I realise how much of a loser and quitter I am.!

Second, it's orientation camp! Since young, I have never been a big fan of camps and orientation. I cannot decipher if that aversion was acquired or in-borne though. My first camp was in Primary 5 and it was definitely a BAD BAD BAD experience. I was a transferee so I had little friends to begin with back then. In a camp, the bond is a miraculous power that motivates campers and leaders alike. If you have a close bond with your fellow campers, I am pretty sure you will leave the camp lingering for more. Unfortunately, I left the camp dejected and disdained any future alike activities. Basically, the lesson I took home from that camp was - CAMPING SUCKS!

However, when I look back at those days now, I realise that all it take was just a little more tolerance to tide me through the adjustment phase and yet I was defeated by my own lack of mental tolerance. It is only now, after I quit being a student, then I discover that I would have loved to be an active camper. I love all the bonding activities that take place in camps, the singing and cheering sessions, etc. but I missed out all the fun owing to a convenient excuse - I don't wish to go because I have no companion. You reap what you sow. So now, I have no memories to take home with me either. :))

I know I can't turn back time and I must have gained something in return of giving up camping.


No comments: