Last night's CL Semi-finals against Arsenal was magnificent! We simply tore Arsenal apart and proved that we were indeed better than them. What I would term as OUTCLASS them. Nasir played an influential role in ManU's defeat at Emirates Stadium last year in the Premier League. I read reports about his responsibility and the role he would take on yesterday night and he admitted that he will be playing in a more defensive way this time round. I think that must have been a blessing in disguise. Nasir's such a magician, capable of tearing apart and creating real good chances and space for himself. I love his playing style. Fabregas is equally good and deadly since he is famous for his killer passes and scoring with a BANG! What's more, Arsenal had Van Persie back in the team which is a huge morale booster. Nonetheless, we proved that we were of a better class and showed more quality football. :) I was so happy last night when we won, because that meant we were on our way to Rome for the FINALS!!!!! Ronaldo scored a brilliant free-kick from 41 yards, tell me "Isn't he the MAN?" He rocks!
So this afternoon, halfway during my self-proclaimed study break, I decided to relive last year's Champions League glory by logging on to youtube for the videos of the penalty shoot-out. Everyone should be aware that I was in Europe last year around this time of the year. In Stockholm last year, I had lots of spontaneous friends who were passionate about soccer since it is Europe's National sport! We are diverse and of course we support different teams in different leagues. Armen is a die-hard Barca fan while Damien goes for Arsenal's beautiful football and of course his compatriot, Arsene Wenger i.e. A french. For me, it is definitely ManU ManU and more ManU.!
There were countless get-togethers for soccer matches since it is usually telecast at around 8-10 pm at night. If we had a large group of people gathering together for a pre-party or celebration, the communal kitchen would usually be extremely chaotic and rowdy and you are bound to see several laptops streaming different matches at the same time. From the round of 32 till the 16, then the quarter finals and eventually semi-finals and finally finals, we never once stood each other up for the games. Classical ones were the ones against Lyon and Barca because Damien went for Lyon (after all he is a French) and Armen for Barca. During the first leg of the Lyon match in France, Lyon's Benzema scored first and that was a huge booster for Damien. I was sitting beside him watching the game on the lappy and he turned to me and said, "Ginnelle, though Benzema scored, we are still friends ain't we?" Gracious as I was, I readily acknowledged with a nod. Before the final minutes of the game, ManU equalized and I was elated. Now the tides were turned since we had an away goal and I asked Damien back the same question. We both just laughed at each other. For that moment of in accordance, I thank God for it. :)
Before the Barca match, Armen and I made a pact to watch it together at one of the pubs. The first leg was at Camp Nou and you could imagine the intensity that surrounded me in the pub because everyone else there was a Barca fan except me.! Initially Damien declared himself neutral but when he saw the anxiety and intense on my face, he was very encouraging to tell me that "If you support a team, be strong in your foothold and not let anyone around you affect you." For that, I heart him for the comfort that arise in my despair and isolation.
The 2nd leg came but this time round, I stayed back at the hostel for the game. This time round, I had Simon on my side and it felt so much better..! When Paul Scholes scored, the both of us looked at each other in disbelief and the hug that came about was unequivocal.
Finally, we were at Moscow in the twinkle of an eye. This time round, Damien missed watching the match with us in a pub. But there we were, the rest of us passionate soccer fans in another pub. I must admit it felt extremely neurotic when Frank Lampard equalised in the first half and when Ronaldo missed the penalty. Simon was there, right beside me telling me to continue to have a little faith. When John Terry mis-kicked, the two of us celebrated as though we had won the cup already. Emile was nice enough to ask us to tone down our celebrations and keep us in check. When Edwin van de Sar made a superb save against Anelka's penalty, Simon and I could no longer contained our excitement, exhilaration, pleasure whatever you called it. We were in the heat of the moment..!!
The experience that I went through back then was something so intriguing, dramatic yet momentous. Even now, almost a year after the sequence of events, they still live in me and constantly stir up emotions in me every now and then. Having gone through such a melodramatic CL's finals, there is a certain benchmark in me as to what I should expect this year. But deprived of such passionate and enthusiastic friends, will I still enjoy it as much this year?
No comments:
Post a Comment