Saturday, 14 March 2015

vingt et un: Theme park - Disneyland Paris

#21: Disneyland Paris

Apologies for the lack of update for the past week due to multiple personal commitments. I will double up this week!

After Lyon, I took a train to Paris, one of my most loved cities in the world. Several friends of mine who went to Paris all came back telling me negative experiences about the city, such as its filthy and smelly underground stations, beggars along the streets, snobbish Parisans, etc. Truth to be told, Paris is one city that I have spent a lot of time in every time I visit but I only have praises for the city. Perhaps when they have been to Germany, then they will find the Parisans less annoying.

No doubt Paris does not have the history of Rome, rather its beauty lies in her modern architecture instead. The Eiffel tower, the Louvre, Sacre Coeur, etc. I do not speak in defence of Paris because I love France but then I just do not find it as lousy as what people proclaim it to be. Perhaps my sub-conscious love for the city since young made me like every bit of Paris. There's a saying, only Paris can match the beauty of Rome. Indeed.

Well, unlike my visit to Manchester whereby I have an objective, I visit Paris every time I go to Europe because I like the place. I can spend hours sitting in front of the Eiffel and watch the lights sparkle every hour, people bustling from one place to another, couples taking multiple we-fies and shots right below the Eiffel etc. However, this time round, I went to Paris for a reason and that is to go to Paris disneyland!

I am a big fan of theme parks, from Universal Studios to Dreamworld in Australia, Disneyland in HK, Japan, US, etc., Six Flags, Lotte World and Everland in Korea etc. Like mentioned in the previous post, perhaps it is due to my childhood experiences of dad bringing us to Uncle Ringo's funfair. That aside, I enjoy the magical feeling and thrill I get in a theme park.

Disneyland is totally different from all the others mentioned above. It gives one a magical feeling whereby you see the fantasies of your childhood come alive. Yes Mickey Mouse is a mutated mouse with only 4 fingers (lol!) but it is just so awesome to stand in front of the disney castle and see the fireworks lit up at night. I have been to 4 Disneyland theme parks thus far - HK, Japan, LA, and Paris and my last stop will be Disneyland Florida, the first Disneyland theme park. Despite seeing the same rides, characters, etc. I am really looking forward to it. :) I guess I will never get sick of Disneyland. One of my favourite rides in Disneyland is the Hollywood tower of terror (basically a drop)! I also had a different Space Mountain experience in Paris as compared to the ones in other disneyland theme parks. However, this is the first time that I went on rides alone because my friends were too afraid to take those rides. I must say that taking rides alone is quite boring because there is no one to scream on the ride with you and share the after-thoughts together. So, go to a theme park with the right company, that is very important! Nevertheless, I thank my friends for visiting with me because I was the one who suggested going, not knowing that they aren't thrill rides goers. I had postponed the visit to Paris Disneyland the last two times because I did not have the right company. God knows it is the same this time round. It is just meant to be.

As for the other theme parks, I visit because I love to take all the roller coasters, G-force, Viking, etc. I did not manage to do the Superman ride and the T-express in Movie world in Australia and Everland in Korea respectively due to maintenance so Battlestar Galactica and Six Flags in SF are the best ones that I have taken so far.

 Disney Castle!

Mickey riding a reindeer because it's Christmas! 

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad ride. This is one ride that always seem to have some technical issues. We did not manage to take this ride when I visited the LA disneyland with 2 of my buddies. Fortunately, I was able to do so in Paris after waiting for almost 3 hours. In between, I headed to Space Mountain! 

A different Space Mountain experience - still dark and all inside but you get to be ejected to Space, seeing the people outside. See the circular structure on the right? That's where the cart will pass through at high speed! 

 My favourite ride - Hollywood Tower of Terror. I secretly recorded a video. You can hear the screams and some of the sights but quality isn't that great. 

It's going to be a little loud so please turn down the volume! This is just part 1! There's part 2 but I did not record it anymore.


Pirates of the Caribbean - only thrill ride that the two other girls took with me. I was the only one who bothered to pose for the camera! 

Because of fatigue, we decided to head back before the fireworks at 10pm. So, I guess I will just have to visit another day to catch the fireworks! :)

No comments: