Sunday, 15 March 2015

vingt deux: Montmarte, Paris

#22: Montmarte, Paris

This neighbourhood is my favourite place in Paris after the Eiffel Region. I had previously written about it when I first visited Paris back in 2008. So much has changed over the years. It used to be a neighbourhood that was relatively dangerous, lots of immigrants and for the less well-off. Daylight robbery was not something unusual and swarms of black French people would walk up to you to try to sell you stuff. However, it is also one of the most artistic places. After 6 years, I would say that security is much better these days but still, never take anything for granted.

You see loads of people lying on the grass patches, be it summer or winter and music being played. At the corner of the church, Sacre Couer, you see a lot of street artists doing all sorts of painting. I would say that they are rather expensive but some of the art works are really awesome! I also think that the Sacre Couer is way more splendid than Notre Dame, be it the exterior or interior.






After visiting the neighbourhood, we then headed to Champs Elysees. Having been to Paris a few times, I learnt for the first time that Galleries La Fayette and Printemps are both closed on Sundays! I thought Sunday is the best time for shopping, ain't it? A little disappointed but then there's always London! 

Au revoir, La France! 


No comments: