Monday, 22 March 2010

Glory Glory Man United!

The ManU victory over our arch-rivals Liverpool last night certainly made my Sunday night a memorable one. 2 months ago, the same kind of euphoria filled me when Arsenal was thumped by ManU and Federer completed his 15th grand slam title on the same day.

The past 3 occasions had seen us ending up in double blows of a defeat and the sent-off of Nemanja Vidic. :( This time round, I can finally hold my head high up in front of my fellow Liver (Loser)pool friends!! Not only was the victory a sweet revenge, Chelsea-Blackburn's draw definitely added icing to the already decorated cake. :))

Since time immemorial, I had become such a huge soccer fan! I guess your childhood addictions and hobbies do follow you through life. My unspoken and eccentric passion for soccer was deep rooted in my childhood. My brother would buy packets of sticker cards from the Mama-store near my Granny's place and then we will meticulously cut out the faces and photos of the soccer players. After which, we will glue it onto those rectangular shaped erasers with countries' flags printed on it. Constructing a full soccer team was always a tough nut to crack. More often than not, the stickers were repetitive and those big stars from ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool, Blackburn (they were hot favourites back then), etc. were always difficult to get.

Giggsy is my Bro's favourite player and Becksy is mine. :)) After having their faces stuck on those erasers, we will then play football on the ground using those stickers or play rubber-wrestling with it. How stupid can we be! That was my very first encounter with soccer.

As I age, I drifted away from soccer since it was such a boyish thing but somehow the passion was re-ignited after the 2002 World Cup. Perhaps the proximity and timing of the matches played a vital role. And after the Europa experience, soccer passion runs in my blood and soul.!

Some people will perceive us as a bunch of idiots who spent tons of money purchasing the merchandise and idle away time to follow up with the latest news and stories, be ready for every weekend's action, blah blah blah. But until you actually sit down and really read into the game, you will never discover the true beauty of the game. Of course, the hunks in the games are bonuses to girls like me. :))

I can't always convince or relate to others about how soccer has become an integral part of my life, all I know is I feel for the game. When the team I support wins, it feels like I've been flown to the moon. When the team loses, I would really wanna just dig myself into my pillow and sleep. But of course, I do not get too emotional otherwise it will kill the passion for the game.

Soccer RAWKS!

No comments: