Tuesday, 9 March 2010

Bumpy and Excited

The long-awaited one week March Holidays is drawing near!!! Yay!!!

After being out of a government school for so long, it feels damn weird to be back in one. The morning assemblies that I have to attend, the numerous rules and regulations that I have to adhere to and also make my students obey, the discipline that I have to instil in myself and also in my students. Honestly, I still prefer freestyle so I guess in my class, the students do it freestyle too. :))

Now that I am back in school, I reflect upon myself as a student 10 years back. I have to admit that I was a rebellious student myself, often found it trying to obey simple rules like cutting your fingernails, not wearing ankle socks to school, not falling asleep during classes, rebutting my teachers, finding loopholes in the school rules, arguing my way out of trouble, etc. Nonetheless, at the end of the day, I produce the results. :)

Looking at my students these days, I find it hard and redundant to constantly remind them of having self-discipline. It is not as though I do not put myself in their shoes but some of them are simply ridiculous. When I observe some of my fellow colleagues, I can understand why the students behave in a particular manner. Cause they have the wrong role model to follow.

As those reflections ran through my mind, I think a lot about the many life events that I have encountered. Maybe Europe gave me a different perspective, maybe the people whom I hang around with changed my outlook, maybe wisdom grows with age is indeed true. There are numerous reasons for change that I simply can't attribute to just one.

For e.g. I no longer find the need to be engaged in useless debates and arguments, I find that I really love peace more than I can imagine, I rather keep quiet than say something meaningless, I have fewer acquaintances but several more quality friends, I can self-motivate in down times, I step out of the circle of politics, I whine but only to the people who listen willingly, I have learnt that I can't force my will on others not even try to convince them so I never bother, I step aside when a topic doesn't interest me rather than try to be the smart aleck and pretend to know, I see everyone in good light before I use my own judgment to evaluate them but not judge, I adapt but I no longer conform to norms - If I like it, I will do it but I will never allow myself to feel compelled to do things anymore,

and all these qualities that budded bring happiness and joy to my seemingly boring life. Hopefully I guess. :))

No comments: