Monday, 29 September 2008

Just a random thought

I was having a pretty restless journey on 198 SBS Bus this afternoon after my mid-term test in school. It was just like any other ordinary ride home on a typical school date. But a brief 3 minutes of playback on the TV Mobile left tears welling up in my eyes. For a moment, I felt proud that I was a Singaporean!

There she was, Ms Yip Pin Xiu, battling against her physical handicap fighting for a GOLD medal for Singapore in the Paralympics. The moment when she was wheeled up the winning platform and presented with the medal, in my opinion, should be one that will be etched in her memory. The National Anthem, which I have been singing every single day for my 12 years of elementary and secondary education, was ALAS played! Wasn't this what the government, the public, the whole nation were waiting for? However, from my observation of the passengers on the bus, none of them seemed interested in what was being shown on the TV.

I've always felt that being able to represent your nation in any form of competition, exchange, seminars etc is something that makes you take a lot of pride in it. It doesn't matter if you emerge as a champion, though being one amplifies the honour.

I am glad that some day in the near future, I too will be serving the Nation and I definitely hope I will be able to continue serving the Nation for the rest of my life in fact! :)

Closing Note: I wish the girl best of luck in her future. :)

When you have a problem and you keep dwelling on it, you do not solve the problem. Instead, you amplify it and make it a BIGGER problem.

No comments: