Wednesday, 16 July 2008

Back to the old days.....

How long ago was it when you had to wake up at 6 or 7 o'clock in the morning, pull yourself really hard to school, attend the flag-raising, get back to your class and find it trying to stay awake and pay attention to the teacher mumbling in class??

For me, it was a lengthy 6 years ago until today, 16 July 2008 when I once again re-live the feeling of being a participant in the classroom setting... However, this time round, my role was switched. Instead of being the active.interactive.noise polluting agent among the class, I stood right in front of the class, trying to control the bunch of students.

How did it feel? I was in a Secondary 3 Normal Academic class and the students were rowdy, unmotivated to study, appearing sleepy and sloppy blah blah...I remember back in those days when I was a student, everyone in class was more or less motivated to study except for a few handful ones (I probably was one of them too wahaha) so the challenge the teacher had to face was make sure they understood the contents and aim for an A.

But it was completely different for the class I was handling. Being able to capture their attention was the key challenge to me. Without them even listening to you, what makes you think that they will be able to figure out what you taught? A lot of my friends think I am not cut out to be a teacher with my "ah-lianish" appearance, behaviour and even candid language but I think likewise. Perhaps I will not be the typical teacher who's always elegant, professional, intimidating etc. but I definitely have my own ways of handling kids.

I had a difficult time trying to control those bunch of kids but I was once a rebellious child, someone who had difficulties focusing in class, dozing off half of the time and chit-chatting away for the other half except for Mathematics, taking breaks in between classes, attempting to challenge the teacher's authority (Erm hmm, of course for CHINESE lessons!) etc.. I know where to come from to tackle all these behaviour now well but not perfectly of course.

To round it up, it was a pleasant experience for me to be back as a participant in the classroom setting.. I miss Secondary School days where S.I.D.Y crack all kinds of jokes and splattered sarcasm all over the prefects who were one-year our juniors, my favourite last row and third seat from the door in the Physics lab where Mr Illysad couldn't spot me sleeping for a double period for Physics, the 2 contrasting personalities that sat beside me, LW & TL who always never fail to brighten up my day (LW with JM on their hand gestures and language while TL and me engage in conversations non-stop), Mdm Yeo's Kite-Flying mathematics class etc...Not to forget, I miss how I can fit into that petitie size 25 skirt of mine..... hehehe.... :)

Do you miss them like I do?

"Time waits for no man............"

No comments: