Tuesday, 19 August 2008

Morocco-Marrakesh day 1-12 June 2008

Yes, that´s my destination for the day! I am leaving Europe and heading to North Africa!!

I seriously can´t bear to leave Portugal because I really really enjoy every single day that I was there. People are nice, friendly and though they speak a different language, they were always helpful. But I had to. I woke up, went to buy my city magnet and headed to Casa da Musica. Apparently, it´s one of the architecture in Porto which people talk about but honestly, it´s nothing. I saw the architecture from afar and was contemplating if I should walk there since it´s probably 500 metres away from where I stood. My conclusion was NO since I won´t have any time to go in because I have a plane to catch at 12.10 p.m to Madrid to transit to Morocco.

Guess what? I met that Parisan guy at the Porto airport once again! He is going back to Madrid for a day before he goes back to Sweden. What a small world. So if you think Portugal is big, maybe it´s not really that big? hahaha...

I had to wait for 3 hours in Madrid for my plane to Morocco and it was definitely worth the wait. When I touched down at Marrakesh airport, I can only say I am out of EUROPE for once. haha.. Everything is so completely different!! The buildings, the language of course but people here speak French, the culture etc. The only thing I didn´t like is, ´I saw CATS roaming at the airport terminal.´ That is probably the only thing I want to complain about. I am totally against CATS.

Marrakech Terminal

Streets in Marrakech, Morocco
Not forgetting, The Sunset..

Anyway, I just got money and headed to my hostel. Marrakech is crazy. The airport shuttle brought me to the famous ´Jamaa El Fna Square´ in Mararkech and it´s like a ´Pasar Malam´in Singapore. The only difference is that people were playing African Music, there were mosques all around and kids pester you to sell you whatever they could from directions to tissue papers or even food. I met these 3 young boys and one of them was donning on 17 Nani Manchester. He saw me carrying the Manchester duffer bag and we exchanged greetings. Actually, I have already got the direction of the hostel right but one of them who spoke English pretty well started to offer to bring me to my hostel. I knew I am supposed to tip him if he led the way for me so I didn´t want but he insisted. Just when we were 50 metres away from our hostel, we were at this end of the street and I started to get more wary. So I approached two Asian girls and asked them about directions to the hostel instead. Coincidentally, they were staying in the same hostel as me so they told me it´s the right place and they brought me to the hostel.

At this juncture, the boy who was wearing the manchester shirt started to whisper to his friend to ask me for money and I do understand a little bit of French here and there. His friend told him to wait and not ask me so directly. I knew what they wanted and the 2 Korean girls told me not to give them. I was not obliged to. I knew it. But I gave that boy who was really nice (not the Man Utd) 20 Dirhams which is like SGD4/-. One of them then commented that I should give 3 but I was insistent to pay only one. Now, you guys may think I am so silly or stupid to give him money but I don´t think so. What is SGD4/- to me? It can bring me one meal in Singapore at most and probably 2 meals in Morocco but sharing that little money with him brought a smile to his face and of course happiness which no meals could provide.

The Medina, Jemaa El Fna Square

The things that they sold- tea leaves.Herbs etcNot forgetting: The famous ORANGE JUICE. Simply lovely! But do not consume too much otherwise diabetes will start knocking on your door because it is extremely sweet. :)

To a certain extent, it might be wrong for me to do that because that will only further encourage him to continue with this behaviour but I don´t think there´s anything wrong with it. He didn´t ask me for money without doing anything. He provided me with a service to earn income. It works just like me giving tuition, providing service to others and they pay me. The other 2 boys were kinda upset because they didn´t get any but no way was I going to budge and give more.

I was getting hungry at night and wondered if I should go out to get some food and the guy at the reception told me it´s perfectly fine. It´s pretty safe so I headed out. I ate moroccan satay and it´s nice! Their famous mint tea topped up to my satisfaction of the meal. Guess what? I met those 3 kids once again while I was eating. This time round, he tried to sell me those neon-light stick for 5 Dirhams but I told him ´´no, I don´t want it´. I didn´t want to buy more stuff from him. Otherwise, he would keep coming back and pester me. Instead, I offered to treat him to dinner if he wants it. But he didn´t want it and he left. 10 minutes later, he came back with the neon-light stick and gave it to me for free. He said I am his friend so he gave it to me for free. At first, I was a bit wary because i didn´t want to commit myself to anything. But he was sincere and he really gave it to me for free. I appreciate it. That´s what I always believe. If you treat someone sincerely, that person will appreciate it and he or she will reciprocate.

My dinner. I can't remember the term for this kind of food. :) But as long as it's nice. Who cares?!
From the rooftop of my hostel. The lovely MOON Shining so brightly. :)

This is probably one of the most nonsensical game I've ever seen. The whole idea is to hook the Coca-Cola cap bottle by standing about 5 metres away from it. It's "FISHING" in a dry sense. Guess the reward for winning??! - THE COCA COLA BOTTLE !!! WTH?

I hanged around the market for a while before I head back to the hostel. Don´t worry people, Morocco is perfectly safe too. :)

No comments: