Day 30: Finally a closing chapter.
I started writing this thread of '31 things to say for a month' about 2 years ago. I was supposed to complete it within a month but then I got so caught up with work and other commitments in life that I left it hanging by the thread. LOL.
A year ago, I left my first job after graduating from the university. When I left my job, I was feeling jaded and was glad that misery had finally ended. However, the job had so many connections to my life for the last 10 years that I could not entirely close this chapter of the book. I took on private tuition as a means to support myself while I did not have a full-time job. I continue to keep in contact with some of my ex-students and they were a constant reminder of the impact that my job could create. Eventually the H2 student whom I taught last year attained an 'A' grade during her 'A' levels and I was the most impressed and also assured. I am glad that I helped steer her to get a place in the university.
I continued with a little private tuition this year and I am glad I rediscover the joy in teaching once again. I enjoy sharing all these little exam tips with my students, helping them to improve on their content and question analysis skills, etc. The more important thing is, I feel happy when they tell me they like the subject more after having lessons with me. However, as I prepare to enter into the next phase of my life, I must really say goodbye to teaching Economics. I can officially close this chapter of my life journey.
I do not know if I will continue to teach when I return next year, but I highly doubt so unless I am really so broke that I need to earn a living via my old business. I love teaching and I think I excel in it because I am not just good with my content but I teach with passion and patience. When I was a student, I was fortunate to have met educators like Prof. Goh Say Song, Dr. Indranil, Dr. Liu Haoming, (I can even name their names) etc. whom I am indebted to for life for sharing so much of their wisdom and knowledge with me when I felt really lost as a freshie. Hence, I aspire to be an educator like them. I wouldn't say I am an A+ teacher but I did my best in the last 10 years, be it when I was teaching private tuition or when I eventually became a full-time teacher. However, I really want to move on to do other things in life now. Maybe some day when I am done with chasing after my dreams and realise that this profession is my one true love, I will return. Nevertheless, the future is filled with uncertainty.
All the students that have crossed paths with me, Thank You. You have indeed lighten up my life in one way or another, be it positively or negatively.
No comments:
Post a Comment