Tuesday, 2 August 2011

Growing Up

There's this saying that goes, "wisdom comes with age."

It is true but only to a certain extent. When people age, they are more aware of the dangers and risks that one has to take in life. Some are risk-averse while others are risk-loving. But as a result of them being more informed and able to weigh the benefits and costs of doing every single thing (though not everyone is able to do so), they assume that they know it best. They are more resistant to change, more inclined towards forcing upon others their ideals, lifestyles, etc. That explains why people use the label "stubborn" on them occasionally.

I do not think that being stubborn is necessarily bad. At times, we need to stand firm on our feet and not get swayed by others' opinions easily, because in whatever that we do, there are bound to be praises and criticisms. People are born with differing opinions anyway. However, there needs to be some kind of balance.

If you always think that you are right or you only accept criticisms from a certain group of people, then we can simply leave the whole discussion to the so claimed "elite" group of yours. Why bother to hold a discussion and get the rest of the people whom you see as "outsiders" to comment. And honestly, I do not see how "elite" you guys are. Times have changed, so we need to move on. We should be more acceptive of what others think can be right especially when we are scrutinizing issues filled with ambiguity.

But as I am typing this post, I am trying to reflect on myself. Since young, I hate to be controlled by others or have them bossing me around with the "I Know It All" attitude or mentality. If someone truly earns my respect, I will follow him or her with my heart and soul. However, that does not mean that I do not question and be an ignorant follower. Respect, nevertheless, needs to be earned. It does not come with your status or age or whatsoever. As I age, I start to get worried that the intensity of my stubbornness will increase unless I meet someone who can truly question my ideals and perspectives. As a result of knowing what I want and who I am as a person, I start to question my ability to continue my --- as a ...

No comments: