#15: Every visit is a new one
On my travels lately, I revisited a lot of the places that I have been to previously, such as Paris, London, Manchester, and Munich. However, it seems like I have never been to any of these places before. I find the things that I come across familiar but I have already forgotten most of the landmarks and directions. This is when I realise my memory can be pretty bad at times. Or perhaps I am just being selective about the things that I want to remember.
I shopped so much when I was in Manchester the last time, going to Arndale and spending three to four hours there and yet when I was trying to give my friends directions on how to get to Arndale, I simply cannot retrace the steps that I took. However, when it comes to the walk to Old Trafford from the tramway, so much memories flooded back. Despite having gone down that long walk at least five to six times, each time I make my way to the stadium, I still feel the adrenaline rush and the excitement about watching a game live again and that it was only yesterday that I had just walked down that street.
When it comes to London, I have transited via Victoria Coach station numerous times but when I had to figure my way to the railway station, the tube and the coach station, I still find myself like a first-timer. Nevertheless, I vividly remember the much coveted Oxford Street shopping. Lol.
Lastly, it is Munich. One of my many inspirations behind my desire to live my dreams is this one friend whom I had who visited Europe back in 2005 on a backpacking trip and a photo that he sent me while standing in front of Marienplatz in Munich. I remember falling in love with Munich the moment I arrived back then, with Hofbrauhus, Marienplatz, etc. Yet when I went back to Munich again this time round, the place looks different and it seems like I have never once laid foot there before.
My selective memory - how ironic.
No comments:
Post a Comment