#10: Time Machine
I have always loved visiting Ancient civilisations, from the age of the Egyptians, Chinese, Nabateans, Jewish, Greek, Roman, etc. There are so many stories to be told and lessons to be learnt from their way of life and be in awe about the fact that they had no modern technology yet were able to build such beautiful structures that can withstand the passage of time. However, it is saddening that many of these structures and buildings were destroyed not by natural factors but rather by human action. I agree that whenever a country or city ushers in a new ruler or dynasty, it is inevitable that the bulk of the past will be erased so that people can truly embrace the new. Such a way of running a nation or ruling a country has resulted in us only being able to see ruins from the past.
Over the years, I have been to many of the places which were the main capitals of the various civilisations in the world but I have never been able to see what it was like exactly in the past. While in Turkey, we saw so many fragments of past Roman and Greek civilisations but they are nothing but ruins. Nevertheless, the Romans truly impress me. The way they had organised and built the city with whatever natural resources they could find is simply amazing.
I would think the Gaza Pyramids, Ramses II Temple in Abu Simbel and Rome Colosseum ranked among my top three favourite ancient architectures because they were kept intact in the best possible conditions. Petra Treasury ain't too bad either. The Pyramids in Gaza have stood for 5,000 years and they have only been defaced by weather. Although there are reports claiming that the pyramids have started to tilt and might collapse in the near future, the shift in inclination is very slight and will probably withstand another 1,000 years or even more. Ramses II Temple in Abu Simbel was covered in sand hence it was never being defaced deliberately by any human action. It is amazing how they actually moved the temple piece by piece up to higher ground before the construction of the Aswan high dam. Having been to Abu Simbel, I feel Petra Treasury pales slightly in comparison. Lastly, the Colosseum is one of my favourite ancient architectures despite the negativity behind its construction. Part of it was shelled by bombing during World War I and I find it a pity that the Italian government has not made any effort to try to reconstruct it.
On the other hand, the Jerusalem Temple Mount, Athens Acropolis and Ephesus's Temple of Artemis are three that I find it a pity that nothing was left behind. Although there are computer graphics that attempt to reconstruct the building, I still think seeing is believing. So, I have always wondered why is it that there is no intention for any rebuilding to take place. The destruction of Temple Mount was due to religious reasons and its rebuilding has too many complications owing to faith, religion and politics hence I doubt I will ever witness its reconstruction during my lifetime despite interest. As for the Acropolis, the financial situation of Greece sums it all. As for the Temple of Artemis, I guess there are way too many of such temples around but somehow this temple has been claimed to be the most magnificent among the many that were built for various Gods and Goddesses. However, the Turks are unlikely to have any serious interest in Roman civilisation so I guess there will not be any rebuilding any time soon.
If I could have a magic lamp and a genie in the lamp can grant me a wish, I would ask for a time machine that can allow me to visit the past and see what it is like to live in the olden days. However, I will not time travel to the future because I believe I am in control of what comes next.
No comments:
Post a Comment