#3: tranquility
I am typing this post of mine on my iPhone so I guess I need to keep it short. Why this title?
I realised, while on my travels, that one of the reasons why I love travelling because it provides me tranquility amidst the bustling crowd. While overseas, I usuaally do not purchase data card to gain access to the Internet. As a result, I only appear on WA, Instagram, FB, and all other social media sites only when I have WIFI access. This feeling of being disconnected to the World Wide Web gives me peace because I no longer have to be bothered about the daily grouses of life. Haha! I can truly enjoy the lone time with Nature, myself or my friends. While amongst the crowd, no one knows me because they do not know my FB account, cannot try to connect to me via Bluetooth or WIFi because I am disconnected and I need not bother about the people around me. However in Singapore, I have to wary about whether I would be "stomped", whether I would bump into someone I know, etc and therefore I feel less free in being myself. That's how technology can deprive us of privacy!
However, the ironic thing is that an iPhone with internet access enables me to travel in comfort. I can take photos with it, use the Google maps for navigation, listen to music, play games to pass time and most importantly Google for help or information. Hence, I still find myself constantly looking out for Free WIFI spots. Why does everything in life has to have tradeoffs?
No comments:
Post a Comment