Wednesday, 30 June 2010

World Cup Updates II

Well, Round of 16 is over, the best 8 teams move on to the quarter-finals and this year seems to be South-America's year with 1/2 of the 8 teams coming from the continent!

Since young, everyone has been discussing how awe-inspiring Brazil's football is and I never truly appreciated it until this year. I caught 3 out of 4 of Brazil's matches this year and they impress me every single game. No sophisticated moves or tricks, No Rambo in the team, simple yet successfully completed passes, plentiful of scoring opportunities created, stream of goals coming in (at least 2 every game except the one against Portugal). They are SIMPLY AWESOME to watch! I hope they move on to win the CROWN! :)) Go Brazil!

England was a disappointment to watch YET AGAIN! Since my passion for football was ignited by the English players in the Premier League, supporting England is in succession to my love for the game. 8 years ago, the likes of David Beckham, Michael Owen and the teenage wonder boy Wayne Rooney caused a big hoo-ha about the possibility of England being crowned champions. But the rising young star Ronaldinho sent the English team packing their bags home in the quarter-finals. I continue to hold strong belief that the golden age of England has yet to come. God knows the quarter-finals against Portugal in 2006 was yet another bummer that shattered all hopes and dreams I hold of England!

So come my very own 3rd anniversary of the WORLD CUP FEVER, I decided to take an objective stand and support teams that deliver and bring out the best football in them. Indeed, it turned out to be one of the wisest footballing decisions I've ever made. Teams like Brazil and Spain never fail to take my breath away even in the wee hours of the morning whereas England time and again shattered their fans' dream. Goals changed games I concur, and the outcome would have been as different as day and night in the match against Germany. Blame it on poor luck.

The champion is still hard to predict, tough tie between BRAZIL, SPAIN, and ARGENTINA. BUT GO BRAZIL! GO SPAIN!

No comments: